Take a moment to look around; everything you see exerts energy, even you. Our cells produce energy to ensure the proper functioning of our body. In fact, our body contains different energy centers or chakras that determine our physical and emotional state. The term chakra means wheel in Sanskrit. Basically, chakras spin in a clockwise direction while they are moving the energy of our body into the field around us. They also spin in a counterclockwise direction to pull energy from the external world into the body. Seven chakras exist and they are primarily located along your spine. Getting educated about the energy centers and how to activate them is the key to both physical and emotional health.
- Crown chakra
Located at the top or crown of your head, crown chakra or sahasrara is the source of highest intelligence. It is believed that this energy center is chakra of pure consciousness and it rules all the others. Crown chakra is the person’s connection to the spiritual realm and energy from the universe. At the same time, it is related to the cerebral cortex and the skull.
Crown chakra has a major impact on the following:
- Emotions: apathy, awareness, psychosis, grounded, emotionally balanced
- Body: coma, brain tumor, cognitive skills, headaches
- Mind: self-awareness, lack of purpose, dominating, controlling, greed
- Spirit: devotion, ethics, humanitarianism, divinity, magnetism
Basically, activation of crown chakra keeps your brain, mind, spirit, and emotions healthy. On the other hand, when it is locked, a person experiences negative emotional or physical outcomes. The best way to unblock crown chakra is to practice prayer or meditation, making a list of all things you are grateful for, helping others, and focusing on spirituality rather than being materialistic.
- Third eye chakra
Ajna or third eye chakra is located in the center of your forehead, between the eyebrows and it represents wisdom and knowledge. Third eye chakra is linked to the pineal gland, an endocrine gland found in vertebrates. The pineal gland is the source of melatonin, a hormone that plays a vital role in circadian rhythm. That explains why third eye chakra impacts your brain, nose, and eyes. Effects associated with this chakra include:
- Emotions: intuitive, nightmares, denial, obsession, arrogance
- Body: a headache, good/bad vision, allergies, thyroid issues, nasal infections
- Spirit: deep wisdom, lack of faith
- Mind: good/bad memory, hallucination, mental strength and agility
Of all chakras, this one is most commonly blocked primarily because we are taught not to rely on our intuition that much and only trust things we hear or see on the paper. The most common symptom of blocked third eye chakra is a headache. Visualization meditation helps you unblock this chakra as well as being open-minded. You should also take a few moments to daydream and nurture creative imagination. Consumption of dark chocolate, dark fruits and vegetables also helps.
- Root chakra
Root chakra or muladhara is located at the base of your spine, more precisely your tailbone. It represents the seat of physical vitality and the urge to survive. Root chakra regulates mechanisms that keep the body alive and it is associated with kidneys, prostate, spine, suprarenal glands. People with root chakra imbalances are highly likely to experience arthritis and joint pain, sciatica, and problems with legs, feet, knees, rectum, tailbone, immune system, male reproductive parts, and prostate. The root chakra is also related to:
- Emotions: excitement, anger, anxiety, determination, resentment
- Body: inflammations, eating disorders, low/high energy levels
- Spirit: passion, love, stubbornness, disconnecting from oneself
- Mind: focus, goal-setting, concentration, pessimism
In order to unblock root chakra and alleviate these problems (or prevent them), you should spend some time in nature and appreciate the beauty that surrounds you. Meditation and regular yoga practice are incredibly beneficial here as well.
- Sacral chakra
Sacral chakra or swadhisthana is located slightly below the navel, or more precisely, in the pelvic area. The primary association of this chakra to the human body is the reproductive cycle. When activated, this energy center helps create relationships of all kinds. Effects associated with sacral chakra are:
- Emotions: joy, dependency, obsession, nurturing, optimism
- Spirit: wisdom, relationships
- Mind: independence, healthy/poor boundaries, creativity
- Body: sexual dysfunction, lower back pain, menstrual issues, reproductive disorder, sensual pleasure, urinary problems, vitality
To unblock sacral chakra you should consider whether you are over-committing yourself to someone or something. In that case, you should give yourself some time to pursue things you enjoy the most.
- Throat chakra
Throat chakra or vishuddhi is located in the throat area and it is considered the center of self-expression, communication, and creativity. When throat chakra is in imbalance it can be one of many causes of joint pain in the shoulder area and your arms. It can also lead to neck pain, thyroid problems, sore throat, laryngitis, ear infections, TMJ, problems affecting chin, lips, cheeks, tongue. Effects of throat chakra are:
- Emotions: calmness, peace, gossiping, shyness, verbal abuse
- Spirit: honesty, faith, activated/blocked creativity, self-responsibility
- Mind: open communication, abstract thinking, great listening skills, addiction, personal expression
- Body: dental health, thyroid health, pleasant voice, hearing issues, body toxicity
Prevalence of good or bad effects depends on whether throat chakra is activated or not. To unblock this chakra you should do something creative to express yourself and your thoughts. It also helps to drink herbal teas.
- Solar plexus chakra
Manipura or solar plexus chakra is located above the navel area, in the center of your body where physical energy is distributed. Activation of this chakra plays the role in pancreas, liver, stomach, and gallbladder. Imbalances associated with manipura usually involve digestive problems, metabolism, high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, diabetes, stomach ulcers, and colon diseases. Effects of solar plexus chakra are:
- Emotions: confidence, selfishness, sense of humor, kindness, guilt, shame
- Spirit: empowerment, egotistical, fearlessness
- Mind: intellect, mental courage, competitiveness, confusion, cynicism
- Body: healthy/unhealthy eating habits, physical strength
In order to unblock solar plexus chakra, it is important to practice humility through mediation. Moreover, if you struggle with low self-esteem you can unblock this chakra by setting goals for yourself and working to achieve them.
- Heart chakra
Heart chakra or anahata is located in the heart area, the center of affection, compassion, devotion, and love. This energy center has a major impact on heart, thymus, liver, lungs, and blood circulation. Heart chakra imbalances can lead to heart disease, asthma, problems with breasts, lymphatic systems. Blocked heart chakra induces back and shoulders problems as well as pain and discomfort in arms and wrists. Effects of heart chakra include:
- Emotions: empathy, love, co-dependency, narcissism, criticism, healthy/unhealthy relationships
- Spirit: forgiveness, compassion, trust, loneliness, grief
- Mind: perfectionism, hate, jealousy, envy, generosity
- Body: immune system health, muscle strength
Aromatherapy, particularly lavender is highly practical for unblocking heart chakra. Make sure you do not hold grudges, forgive, move on, and let go. It is also important to eat vegetables, particularly greens.
Our body has energy centers that are responsible for our physical or mental health. Energy centers or chakras run along your spine i.e. from the base of your spine to the top of your head. These centers can be blocked or activated. Luckily, there are numerous things you can do to unblock these chakras and improve your overall health and wellbeing, even to relieve joint pain, improve the immune system.
Author Bio: Margaux Diaz is a health, beauty & fitness adviser. Her inspiring content helps people to know more about her niche. Apart from all these qualities, she loves to face changes in life; belief in the power of self-motivation and social development. You can connect with Margaux through Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.