Disclosure: This post is inspired and sponsored by Minute® Ready to Serve. As usual, all opinions are my own.
As many of you know, my family comes from Liberia, West Africa and we love to enjoy traditional African dishes. Most West African recipes consist of some sort of sauce or stew and are served with rice. As much as I love eating West African food, the challenge in cooking many of these dishes is usually the amount of time it takes. A traditional recipe could take several hours to prepare to perfection; not to mention prep time. Preparing some of these dishes with various Minute® Ready to Serve varieties has helped us to enjoy them in less time.
A while back, I shared a recipe for Jollof Rice, which is one of the most popular West African dishes enjoyed by many countries. Since learning how much simpler it was to prepare with Minute Ready to Serve rice, it has been my go-to for quick and easy West African recipes. Another West African staple I’ll share today is called Potato Greens, which is a sort of sauce made with fresh greens and meats and served with rice. It’s also one of my mom’s favorites and so I get to share her recipe secrets for this one. Yay!
I was especially excited to introduce my mom to a tasty and even more wholesome twist to this recipe by serving it instead with any of the new Minute Ready to Serve products – including Minute Ready to Serve Organics, White & Red Quinoa, and gluten-free Multi-Grain Medley. Each of these are certified organic by the USDA, gluten-free and preservative free.
These Minute Ready to Serve products are an ideal portable solution for any time of the day, but she was especially excited once I showed her how she could enjoy her favorite dish during her lunch break at work! It only takes 60 seconds to prepare a fully cooked, single portion of rice and comes packaged with 2 individual single-serve cups…you know, in the event that you feel like sharing.
- 2 large bunches of potato greens (sold in local farmers markets or international grocery stores)
- 1 onion
- 1-2 lbs of various meats of your choice – Season ahead of time for best results
- Vegetable oil
- Seasoned salt
- onion powder
- chicken bullion cubes.
- Optional: Baking soda
- Wash your potato greens thoroughly, remove from stems, and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Combine onion and meats into a large pot and sauté in vegetable oil until they are almost fully cooked. Remove from pot.
- Add the greens into the pot in the remaining oil and fry until greens become tender (Approx. 15 minutes), stirring frequently. Optional: Add a pinch of baking soda to the greens prior to frying for color.
- Combine all ingredients into the pot, season and add enough water to just slightly cover all of the ingredients.
- Season to taste with seasoned salt, onion powder, chicken bullion cubes
- Cook over medium heat until all water is absorbed, stirring frequently (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and serve with your choice of Minute® Ready to Serve Organics White Rice, Brown Rice or Quinoa with Brown Rice
For even more recipe ideas and information about the Minute® Rice family of products, be sure to visit HERE! You’ll find tons of recipe ideas great for any day of the week and any time of the day!