It’s National Finding Dory Week! (Ok, maybe not a national holiday per se, but if that’s what my idol Ellen DeGeneres calls it, I’m all in!) Either way, how about some Finding Dory Cupcakes to celebrate?
This Friday, June 17th, Disney Pixar’s “Finding Dory” swims into theaters nationwide and
I – I mean, my kids – couldn’t be more excited to see it! In honor of its debut, here’s a super fun recipe for Finding Dory Cupcakes to try out. There are three parts to it – the actual cupcakes, the frosting, and then there’s creating the edible replica of Dory for the cupcake. It seems like a little bit of work, but it really is simple enough to get the kids’ help on some of it. I’m including the full recipe for all three parts, but no judgement if you choose to skip making the lemon cupcakes from scratch and go for using a cake mix instead. I know my kids would think I was so cool for even attempting to pull it off!
Ps…It’s also a great activity for a Finding Dory Premiere Party if you’re even cooler than me. 🙂
Finding Dory Cupcakes Recipe
Finding Dory Lemon Cupcakes and Frosting
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C soft stick butter
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon zest
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powdered sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- Blue gel food coloring
To make the cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
Add eggs, one at a time, continue beating while adding each egg.
Add vanilla, mix well.
Add lemon zest, mix well.
Add 1/3 of the dry mixture to the wet ingredients.
Add 1/2 of the milk, continue mixing.
Add 1/2 of the fresh lemon juice, continue mixing.
Add 1/3 of the dry mixture, continue mixing.
Add the other 1/2 of the milk, continue mixing.
Add the other 1/2 of the fresh lemon juice, continue mixing.
Add the remaining of the dry mixture.
Mix all ingredients well.
Scoop the batter into the paper lined cupcake tin until they are 3/4s full.
Bake 350 degrees for 21 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 10-15 minutes.
Remove cupcakes from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
To make the frosting
Cream the butter and powdered sugar until light and creamy.
Be patient as this may take several minutes.
If it doesn't cream add the heavy whipping cream.
Make sure that the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
If not add 1/2 C more of powdered sugar.
Test for frosting stiffness again.
Add in the lemon
Split the frosting into two bowls, adding the blue to one bowl.
Spoon the blue frosting into one side of the pastry bag and do the same with the white frosting..
Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
Frost the cupcakes.
This is the part that may take a tiny bit of artistic talent, but definitely use a cheat sheet for the image!
Dory Cupcakes Icing Ingredients
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar plus 2 more cups set aside
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- blue, black and yellow coloring gel.
- Combine all ingredients into a standing mixture and mix.
- If the icing looks like milk yellow soup add in 1 more cup of powder sugar.
- If still thin, add in 1/2 cup of powder sugar.
- Mix until stiff peaks form, 5-7 minutes.
- Split into 4 bowls, leaving one white.
- Add blue, yellow, and black gel to one of the three remaining bowls.
- Once colors are mixed, scoop some icing into piping bags with #2 tips.
- Print out a dory image onto a piece of paper or draw the outline of her.
- Place printout onto a cookie sheet and place parchment or wax paper over.
- Outline Dory with the black icing in the correct place.
- Fill in with the blue, leaving the circle for her eyes empty.
- Fill in the yellow part of her tail.
- Fill in her eyes with the white icing, black for the pupil.
- Let dry over night then place onto the cupcake the following day.
Add some fun with these great Finding Dory Games and Activities! Also, keep up with Disney Pixar’s Finding Dory on social media: