Macy’s Black History Month Celebration
Happy Black History Month everyone! February is always an exciting month for me personally, since it’s both of my daughter’s birthday months and host to one of my favorite holidays – and now there are also some really exciting things going on this month at Macy’s!
First, I have to give big Kudos to Macy’s. In the past few years, they’ve been super diligent in celebrating cultural diversity through a variety of unique in-store events aimed at recognizing and honoring different cultures. I’ve been to a few of these, met a lot of cool celebs, and had a great time.
This month’s theme is, of course, Black History, and Macy’s will be celebrating various rising icons of African American culture, including the next wave of African American actors, artists and performers who are our generation’s cultural luminaries and taste makers!
I will be attending the Atlanta event Macy’s Lenox Square on February 12th at 7pm and I’m beyond excited! While each location will have special guest appearances, guess which rising icons are coming to Atlanta…
Jurnee Smollet-Bell: As an actress, Jurnee has won awards for her role in The Great Debaters and has starred in multiple TV and movie roles, including another favorite of mine, Eve’s Bayou.
On a side note – I’ve been such a fan of her talent for so many years! Who remembers this show called “On Our Own” in the 90’s that starred the entire Smollet family? Plus…guess what other gorgeous Smollet turned Empire star was in it?
Anyway, I’m super excited to meet her and ask her about her new show, Underground, airing on WGN America this spring.
Now as a father, Diggs is a children’s author with his book, Chocolate Me, a book to inspire all children to love themselves.
After the event, guests will have a chance to meet these panelists, snap a photo with them, and receive a signed copy of Taye’s new book, Chocolate Me with any $75 purchase during the event. RSVP for this event HERE.
Again, there will be a special guest appearance at each location. Here’s the full list of Macy’s Black History Events nationwide:
Macy’s Black History Event locations and appearances
- Macy’s Herald Square (New York, NY) – Feb 3, 6pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell, Monica, Terrance J
- Macy’s Center City (Philadelphia, PA) – February 4, 5:30pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell, Monica
- Macy’s State Street (Chicago, IL) – February 10, 5:30pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell
- Macy’s Metro Center (Washington D.C) – February 11, 5:30pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell, Beverly Bond, Eunrique Jones Gibson
- Macy’s Lenox Square (Atlanta, GA) – February 12, 7pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell, Taye Diggs, Chef G. Garvin, and Shane Evans
- Macy’s Aventura (Miami, FL) – February 13, 2pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell, Taye Diggs
- Macy’s Union Square (San Francisco, CA) – February 17, 6pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell, Monica, Rosalyn Gold-Onwide
- Macy’s Baldwin Hills (Los Angeles, CA) – February 18, 6:30pm
- Jurnee Smollet-Bell, Monica
All of the information about Black History Month celebrations at Macy’s can be found at: macys.com/celebrate, so be sure to check it out and RSVP for this event!
Will you be attending any of the upcoming Macy’s Black History Month Celebrations? Which of these rising icons would you most love to meet?
I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere has provided me with compensation for this post. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.