Granola bars are surprisingly one of my daughter’s favorite snacks. Not really that surprising actually, since it was one of my favorites too back in my college days. I’d never thought about making my own granola bars, but I was really happy to find this easy recipe for homemade granola bars that’s both cost-effective and delicious.
What you decide to add into your own homemade granola bars is entirely up to you. You can try peanut butter, chocolate chips, raisins, dried fruit, whatever you like.
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal or equivalent
- 1 cup of mix ins – chocolate chips, mini M&M’s, nuts, etc.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, wax paper or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats and Rice Krispies cereal.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix together peanut butter and honey. Microwave for 30 second intervals until melted. Stir together until mixed.
- Stir in the vanilla to the peanut butter mix.
- Pour the peanut butter and honey mixture into the oat and Rice Krispie mixture. Fold over until well incorporated.
- Add your mix ins! The fun part of this recipe is you can add anything you want! We added mini M&M’s and peanut butter chips. (Because we love peanut butter!) Some other ideas include:
– Chopped Dehydrated Apples
– Butterfinger pieces
– Toffee pieces
– Trail Mix
- Once mixed, press your granola mixture into the foil lined pan.
- Top with any extra toppings, pressing them into the granola.
- Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or until fully set. Slice into bar shapes and enjoy!