There are many ways to achieve a clean carpet. However, if you are environmentally conscious, you may want to stay away from using detergents and try some DIY carpet cleaners and more natural solutions instead. There are some non –toxic harmful home remedies that can be used to clean the carpet without releasing toxins to the environment. Here are a few natural and DIY carpet cleaning solutions.
5 DIY Carpet Cleaners
Vinegar is one of the best home cleaning solutions. You can use it for various cleaning purposes including carpet stain removal. Vinegar can be used directly but works better when mixed with water
- Add 1/4 cup of white vinegar into a 1-liter bottle
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the vinegar in the bottle
- Shake well until the mixture turns whitish in color
- Using a spray bottle, wet the stained areas for about 10 minutes
- Bolt the stain out with a rug
Organic Solution For Carpet Cleaning
This organic solution can be used to clean the entire carpet just like detergents. It is made from several natural components.
To prepare one gallon of cleaning detergent, put together the following ingredients.
- 3/4 of hydrogen peroxide to a container
- 1/4 cup of vinegar to the hydrogen peroxide while you stir for about 3 minutes.
- 5 drops of any essential oil to the mixture and continue stirring.
- 2 tablespoons of dish soap to the mixture and mix well.
- 2 tablespoons of fabric softener ad stir until the mixture turns into a thick paste.
- one gallon of hot water, not at boiling temperature, to the mixture.
Leave it in the shampooing machine for about an hour and it will be ready to clean the carpet.
This mixture is much better and friendly to the environment than the normal detergents.
Ice For Gum Removal
When you have gum stuck on your carpet, there are only a few ways to deal with it. Although ice is not recommended on the carpet, it is one of the best solutions to the ice menace. If you try pulling the gum out while still soft, you will only mess it up more. Just place an ice cube on top of the gum and let it harden for about 10 minutes. You can then pick the gum out without a problem.
Homemade DIY Carpet Cleaner / Spot Cleaner
Mix together 4 cups of warm water, 1/2 cup vinegar and 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda. Using a scrub brush or clean cloth, gently rub the spot in the carpet with the mixture until the spot is gone. Once it is dry, vacuum up any residue.
Bonus: Easy Glitter Removal from Carpet
Cleaning up glitter from a carpet seems daunting, but it’s actually much easier than you’d imagine, just with a few steps.
* Start by vacuuming the glittered surface to get the bulk of the glitter out.
*Any remaining glitter can be picked up with a roll of scotch tape, which acts as an adhesive to pick up the glitter pieces.
*Finally, use a blown up rubber balloon charged with static electricity to help pick up stray glitter pieces from the carpet. Rub the balloon against the carpet to charge it and then hover it over the remaining glitter.