May the Fourth be with you! In honor of this special day for Star Wars fans, I’d love to share an all new initiative called Roar for Change! In support of UNICEF, Disney fans all over the world can share their best Chewbacca impersonation, don a voice-changing Hasbro’s Electronic Chewbacca mask, or create a Dubsmash using one of Chewbacca’s best-known roars from the Star Wars saga, which will be hosted on the app’s homepage for the duration of the campaign.
For each public post, like, or share on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter that includes #RoarForChange between May 3 – 25, 2018, Star Wars: Force for Change U.S. will donate $1 to UNICEF USA, up to $1 million. Funds will be used to support UNICEF’s lifesaving work for children around the world.
You can’t hear our roar from this, but take a look at our group from the #InfinityWarEvent donning our best Chewbacca looks:
Here are some more fun facts and what you should know about this initiative:
- The initiative kicked off with a video featuring the cast of Solo: A Star Wars Story, revealing Chewbacca’s diva behavior on the set of the new movie, which hits theaters on May 25.
- “Chewbacca may not always have the best temperament but beneath the gruff exterior is a heart of gold,” says director Ron Howard in the launch video. “That’s why he’s challenging you to Roar for Change.”
- Today (May 4th), guests at the Disney store in San Francisco will have the chance to meet Chewbacca and roar alongside the legend himself, and from May 4 – 6, fans that roar and post on social media in Disney store locations nationwide using #RoarForChange will receive 10% off their Star Wars purchase.
- Partners from across the Star Wars galaxy have joined forces to celebrate the initiative. LEGO is taking to the streets of New York with the first-ever Brick Millennium Falcon pedicab to promote Roar for Change and give fans the chance to roar alongside Chewbacca himself in Bryant Park on May 4. Hasbro and Funko each met the challenge to Roar for Change and created celebratory videos to help unlock the donation to UNICEF.
- Star Wars: Force for Change, a charitable initiative from Lucasfilm and Disney, harnesses the strength of Star Wars to empower and improve the lives of children around the world. Since 2014 when it was inspired by Star Wars fans, Star Wars: Force for Change has raised over $16 million to date for charitable causes around the world.
- Nearly one in four children worldwide are severely malnourished. UNICEF is working in 190 countries and territories to defend children’s rights and, among other issues, help address malnutrition. On behalf of Star Wars: Force for Change, funds unlocked through this campaign will help UNICEF to provide Ready-to-Use-Therapeutic Food packets to children suffering from malnutrition, helping them to have a chance at a brighter future.
Learn more about the campaign at ForceForChange.com and join the #RoarForChange challenge! View the launch video below:
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo befriends his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and meets the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.
The film stars Alden Ehrenreich, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo, and Paul Bettany.
Ron Howard directs “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” and Kathleen Kennedy, Allison Shearmur and Simon Emanuel are the producers. Lawrence Kasdan, Jason McGatlin, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller serve as executive producers. Jonathan Kasdan & Lawrence Kasdan wrote the screenplay.
Be sure to check out “Solo: A Star Wars Story” when it opens in U.S. theaters on May 25, 2018. Plus, check out this brand new clip from the film!