Random things about me:
- I am a first generation American. My family comes from Liberia and Lebanon. Although I identify mostly with “my big fat African family“, I still claim my Middle Eastern roots.
- I was born in the same hospital now made famous by Blue Ivy Carter (JZ and Beyonce’s kid if you’ve been under a rock).
- I haven’t been able to bond with a pet since my childhood cat. I think her death has left me “emotionally unavailable” as they say.
- Beaches was the first movie I ever cried at. I still cry every time I see it.
- I’ve traveled to 4 of the 7 continents-Africa, Asia, Europe and of course North America. I plan on adding Australia to that list in the next couple of years.
- I still have the same 3 best friends I’ve had since junior high school. We are all of different nationalities (Korean, Indian, and Ghanaian), so we were nicknamed the United Nations years ago. We all went to different high schools, colleges, and now live in different parts of the country and WORLD now(thanks to my Aussie buddy), but we are still as close as real sisters. Skype is a great thing!
- I was a really gullible kid. I believed that Bloody Mary was real for way longer than I should have! There were lots of other really silly things I’m still just too ashamed to admit I fell for.
- I don’t really mind horror movies, but I hate psychological thrillers. I had nightmares after watching the first Saw movie! I was less scared of the movie than I was at the fact that someone actually thought of it in the first place!
- My favorite movie is The Five Heartbeats. I can’t really explain why, but there is just something about the scene where the group hears their song on the radio for the first time that just resonates with me. Maybe it’s because my older brother was in a singing group back in the 90s and I probably felt that same way the first time I heard his song play. Hmmm…I just figured it out while thinking out loud.
- I got through my hardest breakup thanks to one line in Jewel’s song “You were meant for me.” It goes, “…hearts are broken every day.” Seriously, that was all I needed to hear in order to move on.
- I was voted “most likely to succeed” in high school. Not to brag, but author, entrepreneur, mom blogger…I think I’ve done pretty well and I’m not done yet!
- I love crossword puzzles, Word Mole, scrabble (ok…Words with Friends), basically all games that involve plays on words I excel at. I’m a writer, get it?
- My hubby and I have become reality game show junkies! Cooking ones, singing ones, fashion ones, weight loss, dating ones, you name it, we watch it! I’m actually also just a game show junkie in general, especially the old ones. It’s not uncommon for you to find my TV stationed on The Game Show Network.
- The top 3 people I want to meet before I die are Michelle Obama, Oprah, and Ellen DeGeneres…in no particular order. I put that on my Vision Board, so it has to happen!
- Lastly, I am really the official “secret keeper” amongst almost all of my friends and family. Even complete strangers love to just share the most personal things with me! I’m really not sure why, but I’m always honored at the fact that they trust and feel comfortable with me.
Do you have a “random things about me” list?” I’d live to read it! Be sure to share your link here!