We had an amazing time exploring the historic Olvera Street in Los Angeles, CA. In honor of the digital release of Coco (now available HD and 4K Ultra HD™ and on Movies Anywhere), we enjoyed an authentic Mexican Dinner at El Paseo, joined by the bright, young star of Disney/Pixar Coco, Anthony Gonzalez (voice of Miguel). He graced us with an absolutely delightful performance, followed by a Q&A as we asked him all about how he came to be the star of such an incredible film that’s soon to be played on repeat in our home!
Here are some fun facts about Anthony Gonzalez – Coco Star we learned!
- He grew up with music, singing with his brothers doing street performances right on Olvera Street starting at 4 years old. Being a part of a movie where he could sing was a huge highlight for him.
- Just like Miguel’s tradition is to celebrate the Day of the Dead, Anthony also celebrated the Day of the Dead to honor his late grandfather who passed away.
- One of his most memorable moments was singing with Benjamin Bratt at D23.
- Remember how I shared with you guys the magic that lives inside Pixar Studios? Well, visiting Pixar is one of his favorites too!
- He wants audiences to understand that the Day of the Dead is not like Halloween, but a time for a celebration that’s not just for Mexican people, but for all to connect with and remember family members who have passed away.
- Anthony’s late grandfather was his version of Mama Coco.
“One of the reasons I also wanted to do this movie was because of my grandfather. I saw that Miguel had Mama Coco, she was always there. And for me the one who was always there for me was my grandfather. And since I was very little, he was always there for me, he would tell jokes, he would make me laugh, he would just he would make me be a better person in life. And I will thank him for that for eternity because I also wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for him.”
- About the movie Coco being nominated for two Oscars, Anthony recalls waking up at 4 am to see the nominations and just being speechless to see that Coco is nominated for best animated feature and also for the song Remember Me. And he can’t wait to see if it wins. (Same for me!)
- Like Miguel, Anthony is very determined. If he really loves something, he’s going to chase his dreams.
- If he could work with anyone, Anthony would want to work with Zac Efron, Zendaya, Emma Watson, Emma Stone, Daniel Radcliffe, Tom Cruise, just to name a few.
- Next up for Anthony, he’s not only finishing doing the tour for Coco, but recently did a movie called Icebox, produced by James L. Brooks from The Simpsons.
“I grew up watching Disney movies…and just to be part of Disney Pixar movie is a big deal and at my age it’s just a dream come true. All I can do is just thank God for all the blessings he’s given me. And yes I’m still shocked and speechless. Thank you so much.”