It is important to be concerned about the amount of chemicals that one uses everyday and the potential damage that they have on the environment and your health. There are eco-friendly ways to clean the bathroom and leave it sparkling clean without released toxins in the environment. One can apply the following easy natural greener cleaning products that can be used to clean the bathroom.
Natural cleaners are safer and cheaper to use and yet they will clean the bathroom well in an effective manner. One can use green homemade cleaners to clean the bathroom which will leave a natural fragrance leaving the bathroom smelling fresh too. When one uses natural eco-friendly l cleaning agents that bio-grade much faster than the commercial cleaning agents then they will lower the levels of toxins that are released in the waterways. Here are some really simple tips and recipes for homemade bathroom cleaners to have that green / eco-friendly clean in your bathroom.
1. Bicarb scouring paste can be used when applied on an old toothbrush to clean the mold found on the grout. This paste can also be used to clean mold off the shower curtains which in many cases will have mold on them. A homemade paste of lemon juice, vinegar and borax can be used too.
2. Soap scum on the shower screen can be removed by using a mixture of 2 parts of salt, 1 part of vinegar and then using a cloth or scourer to clean the screen. Afterwards one should apply a few drops of almond oil on the screen to hinder a recurring build up on the screen.
3. For removal of rust stains one can mix 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 cup of white vinegar and then apply the mixture on the stain and rub vigorously till it is removed.
4. When cleaning the bathroom windows and the bathroom mirror, one can mix 1/2 cup of vinegar and 2 liters of water. This will leave a sparkle on the windows and mirror.
5. Use a scented candle to burn off toilet odors or use an aromatherapy oil burner for a natural fragrance rather than using air fresheners. You can also use potpourri as natural air fresheners that will leave a long lasting fresh scent at all times in the bathroom.
6. The toilet and washbasins can be cleaned by applying borax and a spray of white vinegar when left to soak for an hour then scrubbing the toilet bowl with a toilet brush and a brush for the washbasins will leave a sparkle and a fresh smell. For stubborn stains one can use borax mixed with lemon juice and left to soak overnight and then scrub off the dirt which will also leave a sparkle.
7. Lemon will remove all grease and scale from around the plug holes by rubbing half a lemon and then rinsing with water.
Simple recipes for making homemade cleaners that are eco-friendly.
DIY Scouring Paste Recipe
– 8 tablespoons of bicarb
– 2 tablespoons of water
Mix the paste until it is stiff
DIY Household Spray Cleaner
– 2 tablespoon bicarb
– 2 teaspoon pure soap flakes
– A large dash of vinegar or one can use a squeeze of lemon
– 2 cups of warm water
Mix well until the solution is dissolved, put it in a spray bottle and use it as a cleaning spray. This can be used to clean the tiles and wash basins in the bathroom.
DIY Mold Inhibiting Spray
– 2 teaspoons of borax
– 1 cup of white vinegar
Mix the borax and vinegar and put them in a spray bottle, then spray the solution on the shower tiles and the shower curtain leave to stand for 30 minutes and then wash off.
DIY Fragrant Disinfectant
– 50 drops of essential oil (ex. Lavender, lemon, rose)
– 4 methylated spirits
– 1 liter of distilled water
Mix the methylated spirits and oil in a clean spray bottle and leave to stand for 24 hours. Then add the water and shake well before use. It can be use to disinfect surfaces like the toilet basin, shower recess, wash basins and the bathtub not forgetting the shower head and all the water taps in the bathroom.
Homemade Window Cleaner (great for mirrors)
One of the best cleaners for windows and mirrors cannot be purchased in stores! Mix together 2 cups warm water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 tablespoon of corn starch into a spray bottle. Use on mirrors or windows.
Homemade Drain Cleaner
You can make a great drain cleaner from items you probably already have around the house. Pour about 1 cup of baking soda into the drain. Then pour about a 1/2 cup vinegar in the drain and cover the drain. Let it sit for about 30 mins and then run hot water run through the drain for about 3 minutes. Repeat if needed for extra tough clogs.
Easy Clean your Shower Head
Check out this tip for cleaning off that nasty shower head. Fill a plastic bag with vinegar. Place it around your shower head, making sure the entire head is submerged in the vinegar. Attach bag to top of shower head with a twist tie or something else to hold in in place. Keep like this over night. When removed you make need to wipe it down a little, but your soap scum should be all gone.
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner
To really get those toilet bowls clean, sprinkle about a cup of baking soda around the inside of the toilet bowl. Using a spray bottle, spray vinegar around the toilet bowl, including under the rim. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes and then use a brush to scrub it down. For a really deep clean, empty the toilet bowl first!