How to make your own Essential Oil Bug Spray
See also: How to use essential oils
Homemade Essential Oil Bug Spray Recipe
Mosquitoes are a huge deal for my family! My kids and I have the absolute worst reaction to mosquito bites, so not spraying is not an option. Keeping the mosquitoes away is a priority for many households like mine with effects that are detrimental particularly on children. The problem is that many commercial insect repellents have chemicals that are also known to have detrimental effects – from irritating the eyes, causing soreness or rashes when applied to the skin, and not to mention quite a few others effects that come with using foreign chemicals in general. If possible, my first choice is always to make my own bug spray.
A combination of any of essential oils such as Tea Tree, Citronella, Lemongrass, Clove, Rosemary, Cajeput, Mint, Geranium, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, and Lavender can create an effective bug spray.
- 30 drops of citronella essential oil*
- 30 drops of geranium essential oil*
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil*
- 20 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oil*
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil*
- A half cup of natural witch hazel
- A half cup of vinegar (or water)
- 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol or vodka
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable glycerin ( optional).
Note – you can alter or remove any of these essential oils. Just be sure to keep the proportions of the recipe so that they are diluted enough. Also, see this chart on how to dilute essential oils.
- Place the essential oils – geranium, rosemary, lavender, lemon eucalyptus, and citronella – in a glass spray bottle.
- Add alcohol (or vodka) and shake for at least two minutes for the content to mix.
- Add witch hazel and shake for one to two minutes to combine.
- If using vegetable glycerin, add a half teaspoon. It is optional, but helps the content mix harmoniously.
- Add water and shake to have the content mix.
At that point,the essential oil bug spray will be ready for use. Just remember that because oils and water will naturally separate, make sure to shake any time before using the spray you shake it.
Another DIY All Natural Bug Spray Recipe
While essential oils make a great addition to a lot of DIY recipes, dried herbs can also be used instead:
- Distilled Water
- Witch Hazel or rubbing alcohol
- Dried Herbs such as peppermint, spearmint, citronella, lemongrass, catnip or lavender ( click here for tips to grow your own peppermint or lavender at home!)
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 4 tablespoons of dried herbs.
- Mix it well and cover until cooled.
- Strain out the herbs and then add in 1 cup or witch hazel or rubbing alcohol.
- Store mixture in a spray bottle and use as needed.
If you have any essential oil bug spray recipes you love, share those below!