Get the benefits of aromatherapy while making your car smell good with a DIY car air freshener. What’s the trick? The key ingredient is essential oils. It’s easy and fun and may even help improve your health. Here’s how to create your own car air freshener with essential oils.
How to Make Air Freshener
What you will need:
- Free printable template of a pleasant shape like a flower, leaf, or tree (print one here)
- Colored felt for the actual air freshener
- Elastic cord for hanging from your car’s rear-view mirror
- An essential oil blend of your choice (Lavender and lemon oil are good choices to start with as a blend.)
Cut out the template you printed out and outline the shape with a pen or permanent marker. Then, poke a hole in the top of the shape to string the elastic cord through. After that, just add one or two drops of each essential oil to the felt every other day. Hang it on your car’s rear-view mirror and you’re done! When you inhale the scents, you’re getting aromatherapy in your car that also makes your car smell nice.
Best Essential Oils to Use
There are many great essential oils you can use as a car air freshener. As a general rule, choose oils that give you enough energy to drive and avoid blends that you put you to sleep. You want to get extra energy on your way to work and pleasant aromas for unwinding on your ride home.
Creating your own car air freshener with essential oils is about creating the perfect mood and helping to promote clean air. Good oils to use include anything that’s energizing, oils that help cleanse the air, and anything uplifting.
Best Essential Oils for Car Air Fresheners:
- Lemon essential oil – energizing and contains antibacterial properties
- Tea tree essential oil – boosts immunity, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antiseptic
- Thyme essential oil – uplifting and energizing scent with antibacterial properties
- Cinnamon essential oil – helps kill germs and has a strong energizing scent
- Pine essential oil – often used in cleaning and air freshening for its strong scent and germ-killing properties
The beauty of these homemade air fresheners is that you can use different oils on different days. Eventually, you’ll find oil blends that you prefer over others. While essential oils can be a little expensive to buy at first, you use so little each day that they are actually very cost-effective. Also, not only do the oils freshen the air, but you get to reap the aromatherapy benefits, as well.